Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada
Best Start: Ontario's Maternal Newborn and Early Child Development Resource Centre. Routine Prenatal Care. Toronto. Available at:www.ontarioprenataleducation.ca/routine-prenatal-care/?target=key-messages. Accessed September 4, 2019.
- Beliefs and behaviors of pregnant women with addictions awaiting treatment initiation.Child Adolesc Soc Work J. 2016; 34: 65-79
- Provision of Effective Antenatal Care: Maternal and Neonatal Care Standards Integrated Management of Pregnancy and Childbirth (IMPAC).WHO, Geneva2006 (Available at:)www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/maternal_perinatal_health/effective_antenatal_care.pdfDate accessed: November 16, 2018
- Inadequate prenatal care and its association with adverse pregnancy outcomes: a comparison of indices.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2008; 8: 15
- Inadequate prenatal care use among Canadian mothers: findings from the Maternity Experiences Survey.J Perinatol. 2016; 36: 420-426
- Characteristics of women who do not seek prenatal care and implications for prevention.J Obstet. Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2009; 38: 174-181
- Social inequalities in use of prenatal care in Manitoba.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 806-816
- Determinants of late and/or inadequate use of prenatal healthcare in high-income countries: a systematic review.Eur J Public Health. 2011; 22: 904-913
- Disposition and health outcomes among infants born to mothers with no prenatal care.Child Abuse Negl. 2009; 33: 116-122
- Barriers, motivators and facilitators related to prenatal care utilization among inner-city women in Winnipeg, Canada: a case-control study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 1-16
- Perceptions of barriers, facilitators and motivators related to use of prenatal care: a qualitative descriptive study of inner-city women in Winnipeg, Canada.SAGE Open Med. 2015; 3205031211562131
- Inadequate prenatal care utilization and risks of infant mortality and poor birth outcome: a retrospective analysis of 28,729,765 U.S. deliveries over 8 years.Am J Perinatol. 2012; 29: 787-793
- Under-attending free antenatal care is associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes.BMC Public Health. 2007; 7: 268
- Adequacy of prenatal care and neonatal mortality in infants born to mothers with and without antenatal high-risk conditions.Aus. N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007; 47: 122-127
Buist S, PECOSKIE T. BORN - Code Red Hamilton. The Hamilton Spectator, 2011. Available at: codered.thespec.io/?page_id=10. Accessed on September 4, 2019.
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- A descriptive study of women presenting to an obstetric triage unit with no prenatal care.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014; 36: 216-222
- Psychiatric co-morbidities in pregnant women with opioid use disorders: prevalence, impact, and implications for treatment.Curr Addict Rep. 2017; 4: 1-13
- Maternal mental health after custody loss and death of a child: a retrospective cohort study using linkable administrative data.Can J Psychiatry. 2018; 63: 322-328
- Predictors of having a first child taken into care at birth: a population-based retrospective cohort study.Child Abuse Negl. 2018; 76: 1-9
Giglia LG, Seigel S, Bhardwaj A, et al. Neonatal outcomes of infants born to mothers with limited or no prenatal care., 88th Annu Conf Abstr Can Paediatr Soc Quebec City, QC Canada 2011;16:31A.
- Quantifying the adequacy of prenatal care: a comparison of indices.Public Health Rep. 1996; 111 (discussion 419): 408-418
- WHO recomendations on antenatal care for a positive pregnancy experience.WHO, Geneva2016 (Available at:)www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/maternal_perinatal_health/anc-positive-pregnancy-experience/en/Date accessed: August 23, 2019
- Prenatal care reduces the impact of illicit drug use on perinatal outcomes.J Perinatol. 2003; 23: 354-360
Heaman M, Tjaden L. Final Report: Evaluation of the Partners in Inner-City Integrated Prenatal Care (PIIPC) Project, 2017. Available at:www.wrha.mb.ca/community/publichealth/files/PIIPCFINAL.pdf. Accessed on August 23, 2019.
Robertson A, Kinsella E. Caring for women with newborn custodial losses: a literature review. Can J Midwifery Res Pract 2014;1:18–31.
Novac S, Paradis E, Brown J, et al. A visceral grief : young homeless mothers and loss of child custody. Research paper 206. Toronto, Ontario: University of Toronto Centre for Urban and Community Studies; 2006. Available at: www.urbancentre.utoronto.ca/pdfs/elibrary/Novacet-al-206-VisceralGriefHLMothers.pdf. Accessed September 4, 2019.
- The influence of socio-economic status on adverse birth outcomes.Can J Midwifery Pract Res. 2016; 15: 10-20
- Deprivation and poor psychosocial support are key determinants of late antenatal presentation and poor fetal outcomes-a combined retrospective and prospective study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015; 15: 309
- Exploring the social determinants of racial/ethnic disparities in prenatal care utilization and maternal outcome.Semin Perinatol. 2017; 41: 308-317
Competing Interests: See Acknowledgements.
The authors have indicated that they meet the journal's requirements for authorship.