Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada
- Quantifying the adequacy of prenatal care: a comparison of indices.Public Health Rep. 1996; 111: 408-418
- An evaluation of the Kessner Adequacy of Prenatal Care Index and a proposed Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization Index.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1414
- Inadequate prenatal care utilization and risks of infant mortality and poor birth outcome: a retrospective analysis of 28,729,765 U.S. deliveries over 8 years.Am J Perinatol. 2012; 29: 787-793
- Prenatal care utilization in Mississippi: racial disparities and implications for unfavorable birth outcomes.Matern Child Health J. 2011; 15: 931-942
- Inadequate prenatal care and its association with adverse pregnancy outcomes: a comparison of indices.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2008; 8: 15
- Under-attending free antenatal care is associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes.BMC Public Health. 2007; 7: 268
- The impact of prenatal care in the United States on preterm births in the presence and absence of antenatal high-risk conditions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 1254-1257
- Prenatal care and black-white fetal death disparity in the United States: heterogeneity by high-risk conditions.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99: 483-489
- Relationship of prenatal care and perinatal morbidity in low-birth-weight infants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 930-933
- Despite an overall decline in U.S. infant mortality rates, the black/white disparity persists: recent trends and future projections.J Community Health. 2014; 39: 118-123
- Inadequate prenatal care and risk of preterm delivery among adolescents: a retrospective study over 10 years.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 122e1-122e6
- Prenatal care utilization: its measurement and relationship to pregnancy outcome.Am J Prev Med. 1987; 3: 243-253
- Adequacy of prenatal care and neonatal mortality in infants born to mothers with and without antenatal high-risk conditions.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007; 47: 122-127
- The Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization Index: its US distribution and association with low birthweight.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1486-1489
- Assessing the role and effectiveness of prenatal care: history, challenges, and directions for future research.Public Health Rep. 2001; 116: 306-316
- The association between adequacy of prenatal care utilization and subsequent pediatric care utilization in the United States.Pediatrics. 1998; 102: 25-30
- An explanatory model of factors related to well baby visits by age three years for Medicaid-enrolled infants: a retrospective cohort study.BMC Pediatr. 2013; 13: 158
- Can prenatal care impact future well-child visits? The experience of a low income population in New York State Medicaid managed care.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 92-99
- Socioeconomic status and perinatal outcomes in a setting with universal access to essential health care services.CMAJ. 2007; 177: 583-590
- Effect of neighbourhood income and maternal education on birth outcomes: a population-based study.CMAJ. 2006; 174: 1415-1420
- Patterns of social inequalities across pregnancy and birth outcomes: a comparison of individual and neighborhood socioeconomic measures.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015; 14: 393
- 2006 census of population.Statistics Canada, Ottawa2009 (Available at:)http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/hlt/97-550/Index.cfm?Page=INDX&LANG=EngDate accessed: September 30, 2018
- Perinatal services and outcomes in Manitoba.Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, Winnipeg, MB2012
- Administrative record linkage as a tool for public health research.Annu Rev Public Health. 2011; 32: 91-108
- A research registry: uses, development, and accuracy.J Clin Epidemiol. 1999; 52: 39-47
- The changing pattern of prenatal care utilization in the United States, 1981-1995, using different prenatal care indices.JAMA. 1998; 279: 1623-1628
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy. Concept dictionary and glossary for population-based research. Winnipeg, MB: University of Manitoba. Available at: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/units/chs/departmental_units/mchp/resources/concept_dictionary.html. Accessed on September 30, 2018.
- A new and improved population-based Canadian reference for birth weight for gestational age.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: E35
- Canadian perinatal health report.2008 edition. Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa2008
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy. Manitoba Population Research Data Repository data list Winnipeg, MB: University of Manitoba. Available at: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/units/chs/departmental_units/mchp/resources/repository/datalist.html. Accessed on September 30, 2018.
- Applied logistic regression.Wiley, New York2000
Tape TG. The area under an ROC curve. In: Interpreting diagnostic tests. Omaha, NE: University of Nebraska Medical Center. Available at: http://gim.unmc.edu/dxtests/roc3.htm. Accessed 30 September 2018.
Heaman M, Martens P, Brownell M, et al. Inequities in utilization of prenatal care: a population-based study in the Canadian province of Manitoba. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. Under review.
- Stillbirths: the way forward in high-income countries.Lancet. 2011; 377: 1703-1717
- It is time for routine screening for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders in obstetrics and gynecology settings.Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2017; 72: 553-568
- Risk of maternal postpartum readmission associated with mode of delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 836-842
- Predictors of hospital readmission of Manitoba newborns within six weeks postbirth discharge: a population-based study.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: 708-713
- The influence of adolescent mothers' breastfeeding confidence and attitudes on breastfeeding initiation and duration.J Hum Lact. 2008; 24: 268-277
- Breastfeeding initiation associated with reduced incidence of diabetes in mothers and offspring.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 1095-1104
- Prenatal care and subsequent birth intervals.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012; 44: 13-21
- Impact of increasing inter-pregnancy interval on maternal and infant health.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 239-258
- Pattern of prenatal care and infant immunization status in a comprehensive adolescent-oriented maternity program.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1996; 150: 829-833
- Extent of documented adherence to recommended prenatal care content: provider site differences and effect on outcomes among low-income women.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 393-405
- The relationship between antenatal care and preterm birth: the importance of content of care.Eur J Public Health. 2013; 23: 366-371
- Quality of prenatal care questionnaire: instrument development and testing.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 188
- The development and application of a new tool to assess the adequacy of the content and timing of antenatal care.BMC Health Serv Res. 2011; 11: 213
- Unconditional prenatal income supplement and birth outcomes.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20152992
- Evaluation of the Healthy Baby Program. Winnipeg.Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, MB2010
- Socio-economic disparities in pregnancy outcome: why do the poor fare so poorly?.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2000; 14: 194-210
Competing interests: See Acknowledgements.
Each author has indicated that they meet the journal's requirements for authorship.