- NIPT for trisomy 21: a cross sectional survey of service users' views and likely uptake.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 2014; 121: 582-594
- Clinical implementation of NIPT - technical and biological challenges.Clin Genet. 2015; 89 (Available at:) (Accessed on April 15, 2016): 523-530
- Hope for safe prenatal gene tests: a content analysis of how the UK press media are reporting advances in non-invasive prenatal testing.Prenat Diagn. 2014; 35: 420-427
- Media portrayal of non-invasive prenatal testing: a missing ethical dimension.Sci Comm. 2016; 15: 1-19
- Non-invasive prenatal testing: a review of international implementation and challenges.Int J Womens Health. 2015; 7: 113-126
- Global perspectives on clinical adoption of NIPT.Prenat Diagn. 2015; 35: 959-967
- The use of noninvasive prenatal testing in obstetric care: educational resources, practice patterns, and barriers reported by a national sample of clinicians.Prenat Diagn. 2016; 36 (Available at:) (Accessed on April 15, 2016): 499-506
- Clinical utility and cost of non-invasive prenatal testing with cfDNA analysis in high-risk women based on a US population.J Matern Fetal Med. 2013; 26: 1180-1185
- The price of performance: a cost and performance analysis of the implementation of cell-free fetal DNA testing for Down syndrome in Ontario, Canada.Prenat Diagn. 2014; 34: 350-356
- An economic analysis of cell-free DNA non-invasive prenatal testing in the US general pregnancy population.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0132313
- Non-invasive prenatal testing for aneuploidy and beyond: challenges of responsible innovation in prenatal screening.Eur J Hum Genet. 2015; 23: 1438-1450
- Non-invasive prenatal testing for fetal chromosome abnormalities: review of clinical and ethical issues.Appl Clin Genet. 2016; 9: 15-26
- The implications of non-invasive prenatal testing failures: a review of an under-discussed phenomenon.Prenat Diagn. 2016; 36: 391-396
- Prenatal genetic care: debates and considerations of the past, present and future.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2015; 15: 1101-1105
- The commercialization of university-based research: balancing risks and benefits.BMC Med Ethics. 2015; 16: 70
- Noninvasive prenatal testing for fetal aneuploidy: clinical assessment and a plea for restraint.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 847-850
- Presence of fetal DNA in maternal plasma and serum.Lancet. 1997; 350: 485-487
- Noninvasive prenatal testing: the future is now.Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 6: 48-62
Swift D. Navigating the new world of non-invasive prenatal testing. The Medical Post Upfront (Canadian Health Care Network). 2014;8–9.
Perinatal Services BC. Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT). Available at: http://www.perinatalservicesbc.ca/health-professionals/professional-resources/screening/prenatal-genetic/non-invasive-prenatal-testing-(nipt). Accessed on April 15, 2016.
Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) (2016). Frequently asked questions: non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT). Available at: http://www.cheo.on.ca/en/NIPT. Accessed on March 22, 2016.
- Current status in non-invasive prenatal detection of Down syndrome, trisomy 18, and trisomy 13 using cell-free DNA in maternal plasma.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2013; 35: 177-181
- Cell-free DNA analysis for noninvasive examination of trisomy.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1589-1597
- Prenatal screening for and diagnosis of aneuploidy in twin pregnancies. Joint SOGC-CCMG Clinical Practice Guideline, No. 262, July 2011.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2011; 33: 754-767
- Clinical experience and follow-up with large scale single-nucleotide polymorphism-based noninvasive prenatal aneuploidy testing.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 527
- Non-invasive prenatal testing for trisomies 21, 18 and 13: clinical experience from 146958 pregnancies.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 45: 530-538
- Science powers commerce: mapping the language, justifications, and perceptions of the drive to commercialize in the context of Canadian research.Can J Comp & Contemp L. 2015; 1: 137-158
- Commercial landscape of noninvasive prenatal testing in the United States.Prenat Diagn. 2013; 33: 521-531
Natera (US). Conceive. Deliver. Available at: http://www.natera.com/reproductive-genetic-testing. Accessed on April 5, 2016.
GlobeNewswire. New fetal test spares pregnant moms the risks of amniocentesis. Available at: https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2013/04/03/535659/10027308/en/New-Fetal-Test-Spares-Pregnant-Moms-the-Risks-of-Amniocentesis.html. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
- Les performances des tests ADN libre circulant pour le dépistage de la trisomy 21 foetale [The performance of free circulating DNA tests for the detection of fetal trisomy 21].Haute Autorité de Santé, Saint-Denis, France2015
- Consultation for cell-free DNA testing in the first trimester in the Fetal Anomaly Screening Programme.United Kingdom National Screening Committee, London2016
- Non-invasive prenatal testing: a review of the cost effectiveness and guidelines.Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Ottawa2014
- Identification of trisomy 18, trisomy 13, and down syndrome from maternal plasma.Appl Clin Genet. 2014; 7: 127-131
- NIPT and informed consent: an assessment of patient understanding of a negative NIPT result.J Genet Couns. 2016; 25 (Accessed April 1, 2016.): 1127-1137
- Positive attitudes towards non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) in a Swedish cohort of 1,003 pregnant women.PloS One. 2016; 11: e0156088
- Model-based analysis of costs and outcomes of non-invasive prenatal testing for Down's syndrome using cell free fetal DNA in the UK National Health Service.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e93559
- Belgian Health Care Knowledge Center (KCE), The non-invasive prenatal test (NIPT) for trisomy 21 – health economic aspects.Health Technol Assess. 2014; (KCE Report 222.)
- Prenatal screening for fetal aneuploidies with cell-free DNA in the general pregnancy population: a cost-effectiveness analysis.J. Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 1160-1164
- Warren N. Manderson L. Reframing disability and quality of life: a global perspective. Springer Science & Business Media, Berlin2013
- Evaluating cost-effectiveness of interventions that affect fertility and childbearing how health effects are measured matters.Med Decis Making. 2015; 35: 818-846
- Stem cell research funding policies and dynamic innovation: a survey of open access and commercialization requirements.Stem Cell Rev. 2014; 10: 455-471
- Evolution of translational omics: lessons learned and the path forward.The National Academies Press, Washington2012
- Reporting of conflicts of interest in meta-analyses of trials of pharmacological treatments.J Am Med Assoc. 2011; 305: 1008-1017
- Overinterpretation of clinical applicability in molecular diagnostic research.Clin Chem. 2009; 55: 786-794
- Bias in published cost effectiveness studies: systematic review.Br J Med. 2006; 332: 699-703
- Assembling ‘the bioeconomy’: exploiting the power of the promissory life sciences.J Sociol. 2015; 51: 28-46
- Industry sponsorship and research outcome. Outcome reporting among drug trials registered in ClinicalTrials.gov.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 12: MR000033
- How basic scientists help the pharmaceutical industry market drugs.PLoS Biol. 2013; 11: e1001716
- Evaluation of excess significance bias in animal studies of neurological diseases.PLoS Biol. 2013; 11: e1001609
- Those who have the gold make the evidence: how the pharmaceutical industry biases the outcomes of clinical trials of medications.Sci Eng Ethics. 2012; 18: 247-261
- Undue industry influences that distort healthcare research, strategy, expenditure and practice: a review.Eur J Clin Invest. 2013; 43: 469-475
- Measuring innovation in Canada: the tale told by patent applications.C.D. Howe Institute, Toronto2014: 191 (Available at:)Accessed on April 15, 2016)
- Patent failure.Princeton University Press, Princeton2008
- Role and reality: technology transfer at Canadian universities.Trends Biotechnol. 2010; 28: 447-451
- A new era in noninvasive prenatal testing.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 499-501
MarketersMedia. Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) market expected to reach USD 2.38 billion in 2022: transparency market research. 2015. Available from: http://marketersmedia.com/non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt-market-expected-to-reach-usd-2-38-billion-in-2022-transparency-market-research/87584. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
PRNewswire. Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) market expected to reach USD 3.68 billion globally in 2019: transparency market research. 2014. Available at: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt-market-expected-to-reach-usd-362-billion-globally-in-2019-transparency-market-research-238824411.html. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
MarketWatch. Global non-invasive prenatal test (NIPT) market is expected to grow at 17.6% CAGR during 2015-2020. 2015. Available at: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/global-non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt-market-is-expected-to-grow-at-176-cagr-during-2015–-2020-2015-11-19-82033153. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
Heger M. Sequenom eyes low-risk NIPT market; inks contract with Aetna. GenomeWeb 2014. Available at: https://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/sequenom-eyes-low-risk-nipt-market-inks-contract-aetna. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
- Clinical validation of a noninvasive prenatal test for genomewide detection of fetal copy number variants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 227.e1-227.e16
- Noninvasive prenatal testing beyond genomic analysis: what the future holds.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 28: 105-110
Regalado A. Prenatal DNA sequencing. MIT Technology Review. 2013. Available at: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/513691/prenatal-dna-sequencing/. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
Young RS. A brave new world of prenatal sequencing. MIT Technology Review. 2013. Available at: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/510181/a-brave-new-world-of-prenatal-dna-sequencing/. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
- Noninvasive prenatal testing for fetal trisomies in a routinely screened first-trimester population.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 207: 374.e1-374.e6
- Noninvasive prenatal testing using a novel analysis pipeline to screen for all autosomal fetal aneuploidies improves pregnancy management.Eur J Hum Genet. 2015; 23: 1286-1293
- Calculating the fetal fraction for non invasive prenatal testing based on genome-wide nucleosome profiles.Prenat Diagn. 2016; 36: 614-621
- Clinical application of massively parallel sequencing-based prenatal noninvasive fetal trisomy test for trisomies 21 and 18 in 11 105 pregnancies with mixed risk factors.Prenat Diagn. 2012; 32: 1225-1232
- Noninvasive prenatal diagnosis of fetal trisomy 18 and trisomy 13 by maternal plasma DNA sequencing.PloS One. 2011; 6: e21791
- Non-invasive prenatal assessment of trisomy 21 by multiplexed maternal plasma DNA sequencing: large scale validity study.BMJ. 2011; 342: c7401
- Noninvasive prenatal diagnosis of fetal chromosomal aneuploidy by massively parallel genomic sequencing of DNA in maternal plasma.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008; 105: 20458-20463
- Performance of non-invasive prenatal testing when fetal cell-free DNA is absent.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 45: 112
- Analysis of cell-free DNA in maternal blood in screening for fetal aneuploidies: updated meta-analysis.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 45: 249-266
- Why 99% may not be as good as you think it is: limitations of screening for rare diseases.J Matern Fetal Neonat Med. 2016; 29: 1187-1189
- Strategic patenting in biotechnology.Technology Analysis & Strategic Management. 2004; 16: 529-538
- Biotechnology and the popular press: hype and the selling of science.Trends Biotechnol. 2004; 22: 337-339
- Is belief larger than fact: expectations, optimism and reality for translational stem cell research.BMC Med. 2012; 10: 1
- Stem cell hype: media portrayal of therapy translation.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7: 278ps4
- Do the print media “hype” genetic research? A comparison of newspaper stories and peer-reviewed research papers.Can Med Assoc J. 2004; 170: 1399-1407
Karow J. Noninvasive prenatal testing diversifies in 2015, migrates toward average-risk market. GenomeWeb 2016. Available at: https://www.genomeweb.com/molecular-diagnostics/noninvasive-prenatal-testing-diversifies-2015-migrates-toward-average-risk. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
- Changing indications for invasive testing in an era of improved screening.Semin Perinatol. 2016; 40: 56-66
- Limited clinical utility of non-invasive prenatal testing for subchromosomal abnormalities.Am J Hum Genet. 2016; 98: 34-44
- Stakeholder attitudes and needs regarding cell-free fetal DNA testing.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 28: 125-131
- Non-invasive prenatal testing: ethics and policy considerations.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014; 36: 515-526
- Development and validation of a measure of informed choice for women undergoing non-invasive prenatal testing for aneuploidy.Eur J Hum Genet. 2016; 24: 809-816
- NIPT-based screening for Down syndrome and beyond: what do pregnant women think?.Prenat Diagn. 2015; 35: 598-604
- Noninvasive fetal sex determination using cell-free fetal DNA: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 306: 627-636
- Eugenic nation: faults and frontiers of better breeding in modern America.University of California Press, Berkeley2015
- What potent blood: non-invasive prenatal genetic diagnosis and the transformation of modern prenatal care.Am J Law Med. 2007; 33: 9-53
- Nucleic acid-based non-invasive prenatal diagnosis of genetic skin diseases: are we ready?.Exp Dermatol. 2013; 22: 392-395
- Physician liability and non-invasive prenatal testing.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014; 36: 907-914
- Attitudes of pregnant women and male partners towards non-invasive prenatal testing and widening the scope of prenatal screening.Eur J Hum Genet. 2014; 22: 1345-1350
- It's more than a blood test: patients' perspectives on noninvasive prenatal testing.J Clin Med. 2014; 3: 614-631
Canada NewsWire. Medcan is the first Canadian clinic to provide verinata non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) to pregnant women. 2013. Available at: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/medcan-is-the-first-canadian-clinic-to-provide-verinata-non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt-to-pregnant-women-512195581.html. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
Press Association. Non-invasive test for Down's syndrome recommended for high-risk women. The Guardian 2016. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/15/non-invasive-test-for-downs-syndrome-recommended-for-high-risk-women. Accessed on April 15, 2016.
What to Expect. Noninvasive prenatal testing (NIPT). 2015. Available from: http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/noninvasive-prenatal-testing. Accessed on April 16, 2016.
- Challenging the rhetoric of choice in prenatal screening.Bioethics. 2009; 23: 68-77
- The tentative pregnancy; how amniocentesis changes the experience of motherhood.WW Norton and Company, New York1993
- What about informed consent in First-trimester ultrasound screening for Down Syndrome?.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2008; 23: 173-184
- Will the introduction of non-invasive prenatal diagnostic testing erode informed choices? An experimental study of health care professionals.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 78: 24-28
Conflicting Interests: None declared.