The Native American Women’s Health Education Resource Centre. SisterSong Native Women’s Reproductive Rights and Health Roundtable Convenes. Available at: http://nativeshop.org/pro-choice.html. Accessed January 20, 2010.
- Declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples. Adopted by General Assembly Resolution 61/295 on 13 September 2007. United Nations, New York2007 (Accessed April 6, 2011. Available at:)
- Aboriginal women’s health research synthesis project final report. Centres of Excellence for Women’s Health. 2001 (Available at: Accessed October 26, 2010)
- Association of macrosomia with perinatal and postneonatal mortality among First Nations people in Quebec.CMAJ. 2011; 183 (First published January 17, 2011., February 22)https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.100837
- Birth outcomes and infant mortality by the degree of rural isolation among First Nations and non-First Nations in Manitoba, Canada.J Rural Health. 2010; 26: 175-181
- The embodiment of inequity: health disparities in aboriginal Canada.Can J Public Health. 2005; 96: S45-61
- Women of Colour Against Violence. International indigenous women’s environmental and reproductive health symposium declaration. 2010 (Available at: August 19)http://inciteblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/international-indigenouswomens-environmental-and-reproductive-health-symposium-declaration/(Accessed January 21, 2010)
- Poverty and chronic disease: recommendations for action.(Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance of Canada)2008 (April)
- First Nations regional longitudinal health survey (RHS) 2002/2003: results for adults, youth and children living in First Nations communities.First Nations Centre at the National Aboriginal Health Organization, Ottawa2005
- Assembly of First Nations. First Nations action plan for Non-Insured Health Benefits. Assembly of First Nations, Ottawa2005 (Available at: April 25)Accessed February 16, 2011)
- Reproductive health of urban American Indian and Alaska Native women: examining unintended pregnancy, contraception, sexual history and behavior, and non-voluntary sexual intercourse. Urban Indian Health Institute, Seattle2010
- Maternal health in Canadian Aboriginal communities: challenges and opportunities.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2009; 31: 956-962
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. Fact Sheet: 2006 Census Aboriginal Demographics. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. Available at: http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/ai/mr/is/cad-eng.asp. Accessed October 26, 2010
Two Spirit Society of Denver. What does two spirit mean? [web page]. Available at: http://www.denvertwospirit.com. Accessed February 9, 2011.
- Asian Communities for Reproductive Justice answers the question: what is reproductive justice.Collective Voices. 2005 Spring; 1: 6
This policy statement has been prepared by the Aboriginal Health Initiatives Sub-Committee approved by the Executive Council of the Society of Obstetricians Gynaecologists of Canada. This statement was also approved jointly by the Assembly of First Nations the Canadian Federation for Sexual Health, Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada, the NativeYouth Sexual Health Network, the Indigenous Physicians Association of Canada, the Canadian Association of Perinatal Women’s Health Nurses the Canadian Association of Midwives, the National Aboriginal Council of Midwives, the College of Family Physicians of Canada, the Canadian Medical Association, the Royal College of Physicians Surgeons of Canada the Society of Rural Physicians of Canada.
Disclosure statements have been received from all authors and committee members.