Benefits, harms, and costs
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada
- The wide gap between genetic research and clinical needs.CMAJ. 2007; 176: 315-316
Menon S, Burgis J, Bacon J. The college-aged examination: a comprehensive approach to preventive medicine. Adolescent Gyn Series. The Female Patient July 2007. Available at: http://www.femalepatient.com/html/arc/sig/adoles/adoles.asp. Accessed November 4, 2010.
- Family-centered maternity and newborn care: national guidelines.(Chapter 3.)Preconception care. 4th ed. Health Canada, Ottawa2005 (Available at)Accessed January 18, 2010)
- The sensible guide to a healthy pregnancy. 2007 (Available at)Accessed January 18, 2010)
- Recommendations to improve preconception health and health care-United States.MMWR. 2006; 55: 1-22
- Healthy beginnings. 3rd ed. The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, Ottawa2005: 1-21
- The importance of preconception care in the continuum of women’s health care.(ACOG Committee Opinion, No. 313)2005
- Make every mother and child count.Public Health Agency of Canada, 2005: H124-H213
- Antepartum care.ACOG guidelines for perinatal care. 5th ed. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2002: 73-124
- ACOG guidelines for women’s health care.(Part 3)Patient care. 2nd ed. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2002
- Public Health Agency of Canada, Canadian Perinatal Health Report. 2008 Edition. PHAC, Ottawa2008
- Carrier screening for genetic disorders in individuals of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 177.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2006; : 324-332
- Fragile X testing in obstetrics and gynaecology in Canada. SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 216.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2008; 30: 837-841
- Carrier screening for thalassemia and hemoglobinopathies in Canada. SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 218.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2008; 30: 950-959
- Pregnancy in women who had cancer in childhood.Eur J Cancer. 2007; 32: 1890-1894
- Prenatal screening for fetal aneuploidy. SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 187.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 146-161
- Statement on guidance for genetic counseling in advanced paternal age. American College of Medical Genetics, 1996
- Premature ovarian failure. Oxford Desk Reference—Clinical Genetics. Oxford University Press, 2005: 620-621
- NOBOX Homeobox mutation causes premature ovarian failure.Am J Hum Genet. 2007; 81: 576-581
- Miscarriage and recurrent miscarriage. Oxford Desk Reference—Clinical Genetics. Oxford Medical Press, 2005: 616-617
- Pre-pregnancy obesity a risk for structural birth defects.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 745-750
- Maternal obesity and risk of stillbirth: a metaanalysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 197: 223-228
- Weight management: a guideline to caring for adolescent patients. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington, DC2007
- Teratogenicity associated with pre-existing and gestational diabetes.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 927-934
- Principles of human teratology: drug, chemical, and infectious exposure.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 911-917
- Documentation of contraception and pregnancy when prescribing potentially teratogenic medications for reproductive-age women.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 370-376
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: Canadian guidelines for diagnosis.CMAJ. 2005; 172: S1-S21
- Prevention and detection of diabetic embryopathy.Community Genet. 2002; 5: 33-39
- Pre-conception vitamin/folic acid supplementation 2007: the use of folic acid in combination with a multivitamin supplement for the prevention of neural tube defects and other congenital abnormalities.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 1003-1013
- Immunization in pregnancy. SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 236.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2009; 31: 1085-1092
- Immunization during pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101 (12): 20
This committee opinion has been prepared by the Genetics Committee reviewed by the MD Advisory Committee and the Medico-Legal Committee and approved by the Executive of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada.
Disclosure statements have been received from all members of the committee.
This document reflects emerging clinical and scientific advances on the date issued and is subject to change. The information should not be construed as dictating an exclusive course of treatment or procedure to be followed. Local institutions can dictate amendments to these opinions. They should be well documented if modified at the local level. None of these contents may be reproduced in any form without prior written permission of the SOGC.