- Aboriginal health in Canada: historical, cultural, and epidemiological perspectives.2nd ed. University of Toronto Press, Toronto2007
- Where the pavement ends: Canada’s Aboriginal recovery movement and the urgent need for reconciliation.Vancouver: Douglas and McIntyre. 2008; 175
- Declaration of Alma-Ata.in: International Conference on Primary Health Care USSR, Alma-AtaSeptember 6–12, 1978 (Available at:)Accessed March 20, 2009)
- A guide for health professionals working with Aboriginal peoples. SOGC Policy Statement, CPG No. 100, December 2000.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2000; 22: 1056-1061
- Celebrating birth—Aboriginal midwifery in Canada. National Aboriginal Health, Ottawa2008: 12 (Organization)
- A report on best practices for returning birth to rural and remote Aboriginal communities. SOGC Report, CPG No. 188, March 2007.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 250-260
- The Aboriginal Nurse. January 2002 (Available at:)Accessed March 30, 2009)
- Comprehensive maternal child health care in First Nations and Inuit communities. Office of Nursing Services, First Nations and Inuit Health Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa2002
Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA). Definitions. Available at: http://mana.org/definitions.html#DEM. Accessed April 2, 2009.
College of Midwives of Manitoba. Exploring midwifery as a career. Available at: http://www.midwives.mb.ca/becoming.html. Accessed: April 9, 2009.
- Aboriginal women and reproductive health, midwifery, and birthing centres: an issue paper.in: Paper presented at: National Aboriginal Women’s SummitJune 20–22, 2007 (Corner Brook NL)
University of Manitoba; Faculty of Medicine. Nunavut–Rankin Inlet Birthing Centre. Available at: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/units/northern_medical_unit/popups/physician_info/birthing_centre.shtml. Accessed April 9, 2009.
The Irnisuksiiniq–Inuit Midwifery Network. What’s new. Available at: http://www.naho.ca/inuit/midwifery/english/index.php. Accessed: April 7, 2009.
- A national birthing initiative for Canada.An inclusive, integrated and comprehensive pan-Canadian framework for sustainable family-centered maternity and newborn care. SOGC, OttawaJanuary 2008 (Available at:)Accessed: August 5, 2009)
- MCP2: Multidisciplinary collaborative primary maternity care.in: Paper presented at: Maternal Child Youth ConferenceJune 3, 2006 (Vancouver BC)
- An introduction to the integration of Aboriginal health for the SOGC.in: Paper presented at: Invitational Gathering on North American Indigenous Birthing and Midwifery; Washington, DCMay 5–8; 2008
- Encuentro Internacional Salud y Pueblos Indígenas.Logros y Desafíos en la Región de las Américas [International health and indigenous peoples series: Achievements and challenges in the region of the Americas]. Pan American Health Organization, Washington, DC2003
Assembly of First Nations. Speaking Notes for Assembly of First Nations National Chief Phil Fontaine. Available at: http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=3324. Accessed April 7, 2009.
- Reaching common ground: culture, gender and human rights.UNFPA. 2008; 2008 (Available at:) (Accessed August 5, 2009): 4
United Nations Population Fund. Safe motherhood: skilled attendance at birth. Accessed at: http://www.unfpa.org/mothers/skilled_att.htm. Accessed: March 25, 2009.
World Health Organization. Reproductive health and research: making pregnancy safer. Available at: http://www.searo.who.int/EN/Section13/Section36/Section129/Section396_1446.htm. Accessed March 25, 2009.
Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Available at: http://sogcit:10100/sites/SOGCInfoBank/External%20PartnersStakeholders/Shared%20Documents/AffiliateSocietiesOrganization/FECASOG/preIntegracionSololaE.ppt.
- Training traditional birth attendants in Guatemala.Lancet. 2007; 369: 177-178
- State of the world’s children 2009: maternal and newborn health. UNICEF, New York2008: 60
- Census. 2006 (Available at:)Accessed: April 17, 2009)
- Aboriginal Women’s Health Research Synthesis Project final report. Centres of Excellence for Women’s Health Program, Women’s Health Bureau, Health Canada, Ottawa2001
Health Canada. First Nations, Inuit, and Aboriginal health: First Nations comparable health indicators. Available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/diseases-maladies/2005-01_health-sante_indicat-eng.php. Accessed April 27, 2009.
UN Plan for Action Committee. Women and the economy: a project of UNPAC. Available at: http://www.unpac.ca/economy/awe.html. Accessed April 27, 2009.
The Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation. Aboriginal women and housing. Available at: http://www.equalityrights.org/cera/docs/ barrchp3.htm. Accessed April 27, 2009.
- HIV/AIDS and Aboriginal women, children and families: a position statement. Ottawa2004
Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies. Aboriginal women: criminalization, over-representation, and the justice system. Available at: http://www.elizabethfry.ca/eweek06/pdf/aborig.pdf. Accessed April 27, 2009.
Competing Interests: None declared